Thanks to my pastor, Des, I am thinking about the Missional Spirit once more. In the past I have highlighted the need for a more empowering and ancient way of understanding the Spirit. A way beyond the ways of Cessationism, Pentecostalism and Pantheism. A way which more fully appreciates the work of the Spirit in the world. A way which, in a word, is more missional.
There are a number of contours I think need to be explored here:
- Worship as the foundation for witness ; Spirituality as a foundation for mission
- The Spirit as Christ-centred in orientation and Christ-like in character
- General and Special activity of the Spirit, recognized and unrecognized
- Engaging with the language of Spirit in different religious movements
- Demonic fears as, sometimes, undiagnosed culture shock
- Prayer as a compliment to evangelism, not a substitute
- Idolatry as a more helpful category than demonology when engaging with other religions, given that idols include good thinks inappropriately worshipped as ultimate things, and not just bad things.
- Gifts of the Spirit and fruit of the Spirit
If there are any you think I should add, comment away.